Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's been a bad day.

We all have them. Today was just one such day for us. Mostly for Peyton and I. Some days I can almost forget their is anything different about him because I am so used to his behaviors and our routines, but when days like today hit, I am overwhelmed and outmatched. It started at 3:30 am when he was awake playing loudly in his room. I went in to tell him it was night time and he needed to go to sleep only to find him shoving flash cards into the heater vent. This lead to a 4:00 am unscrewing of the heater to get out all the cards so my house didn't end up in flames. I think this resulted in us both being a little tired and cranky today, but for whatever reason, all day, Peyton insisted on making as much trouble as possible (I have witnesses.) He was hitting, dumping, emptying, and jumping on everything in sight. The best was when he opened up the cupboards under the sink and took out both the dishwasher soap and the dishwashing soap and proceeded to put the dishwashing soap into the dishwasher leading to Brady eating some of it. I had already emotionally lost once, in front of people no less, and I really didn't know how much more I could take. No form of punishment seems to be working with him. Words mean nothing to him, it is just something for him to echo. Spankings are like a game, he doesn't care that he has disappointed us. Same goes for yelling. I try to remove him from the situation or put him in time out, but even that has little effect on him, as he was in time out several times today and he kept doing worse and worse things. Plus, I don't know why he is doing them. He is never being malicious. It's so hard. I hate feeling so helpless and out of control. I don't like being so angry at my son, especially if he can't help what he's doing.

To try and help things, get him some sensory input and a little energy output, I took the boys to Burger King to play for a bit this evening hoping it would help. It did at first, but then things started to happen that broke my heart even more. Peyton has a hard time interacting with other kids, he doesn't know how to communicate, but he wants to. At one point, there were two kids a bit older than him there playing together and I could tell he wanted in. First, he just followed them around, but then it seemed like he was actually playing with them.  I got so excited. They all came down the slide and Peyton had the biggest smile on his face. He ran to go up again and said "Let's do again," wanting the others to follow. I watched and waited for them to do so, but they didn't. Instead they continued to do their own thing playing together. When they finally returned up into the play structure they began to act as if Peyton was chasing them. Peyton thought it was a fun game saying, "I get you," like we always do. My heart began to break on the spot. Will my son always be the socially awkward kid no one wants to play with. I don't know if I can take it. I tried my hardest not to ball right there, but I teared up some. I guess I can find some solace in the fact that he was happy and didn't notice anything either way, but I don't know if that will always hold true.

Right now we have a lot of things in the works to help Peyton more, pre-school, possibly gymnastics and even a membership to the Children's Museum. I think he desperately needs these types of outside contacts and sensory stimulation's. But none of that is happening yet. In my head I like to believe we aren't that different, we can do things just like most everybody else, but maybe we can't. I'd also like to think I can do it on my own, so many others do, but maybe I can't. Days like today teach me I am not as adjusted to this as I thought. I still haven't let go to the picture of the son I once believed I had. I still haven't come to terms with the fact that I have no idea how to parent this child and it is scaring the crap out of me.  But I still love him more than words and I truly want whats best for him, whatever that is.

6 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

My heart goes out to you as I feel your love and your frustration.
You know the saying, "Safety in numbers"? - I think it is a great help to parents to be able to get together with other parents experiencing the same situations! I'm sure there are classes/meetings for parents with autistic children! I have a cousin who has a son with autism. If you like, I can ask her about how to get in contact with these help groups? :)
She has a blog too, so perhaps you would enjoy being blog buddies? :)

Alesha said...

Tressa,
I'm so sorry! I love you and will be there in a few days to try to help some. I will talk to the autisc unit teacher again for you and see if she has any advice.

Susie Q said...

Tressa
Tears came to my eyes as I read this. Although I really have no idea at all of the struggle you are having, I do know that life is hard and sometimes very frustrating. Your doing a great job. Don't forget that, even if you feel alone and overwhemled.I hope that you are able to find programs that will help you guys. I will keep you in my prayers!

Nathan and Raya said...

I definitely can't say that I know what you are going through. All kids have there days and I know about frusteration from naughty kids, but there is a difference between Ilee knowing she's being naughty and Peyton trying to express himself and engage with others.
I wish I could do more, but I can definitely get a membership with you to the museum so you won't have to go alone. And maybe we can do more play dates. Ilee's old enough to try to play with Peyton and not leave him on his own.

I'm going to give my friend Jacy your email address. She's got the autistic boy in Spokanne. He's 10 and she can relate with you and I am sure give you pointers. So don't be surprised if you get an email from her.
stay positive and know that you are a good mom and you are not alone.

Melia Hunt said...

Tressa, I'm not great with the words, but I can say I love you! I'm always here if you need to talk. :)

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Frustrations & irritations in dealing with special children are normal, but you have to be patient more than you used to because they are different. But they still have the right to feel loved & needed. Good luck and be more patient. Thanks for sharing!